Windows Feb Update installation problems

dms05 08:36 14 Feb 2008

I've a 2 week old laptop running Vista Home Premium. All the Updates flagged my MS were installed when it was new out of the box.

For the last two days I've been battling with the February MS Updates - I'm told I have 9 updates of 16.8 MB size and these are downloaded, I'm advised to Restart after Installing them and I do so with a single click on the button.

After that my laptop says it's Configuring Updates and continues for several minutes.

Eventually the laptop shutsdown and restarts with a message announcing it's Configuring Updates. It them Shutsdown again and announces it's Configuring Updates. Sometimes it goes through this process of Shut/Restart several times.

After a total of perhaps 30 minutes I'm preseneted with the Desktop. However if I check the Updates I find only the Malicious Software has installed and all the rest have failed (KB947172, KB943055, KB943002 and so on).

Is anyone else having this problem? Can anyone suggest a solution?

I've now turned off Automatic Updates to stop repeated downloading but as many Updates are classified as Important I feel I should have them installed.

birdface 08:55 14 Feb 2008

Turn off automatic updates go to control panel.Security center,And at the bottom click on automatic updates.Dot the button for switching it of,Apply.Ok.Just to be sure reboot your computer and then run the manual update and maybe only update them one at a time.

dms05 08:58 14 Feb 2008

I'm now trying to install the Updates individually. Perhaps I can then identify the problem update.

The first one is the IE7 cumalative update. After downloading and installing the computer restarts and I get a screen 'Startup Repair' that I've never seen before.

After several minutes this disappears and on checking the IE7 update is declared a 'Success'. So I'll now work my way through the other 8 updates.

I thought Vista was about making things simpler!

dms05 08:59 14 Feb 2008

Buteman - I'd already started doing exactly that. If I can identify the probelm I'll repost.

dms05 10:13 14 Feb 2008

I've worked my way through the Updates and 8 of the 9 install without a problem. However KB938371 fails. This is reported elsewhere on this forum and apparently is a widespread problem. My only additional comment concerning KB938371 is the reported download size is 4.1 MB but the actual download is only 2.4 MB.

birdface 10:28 14 Feb 2008

click here this one.looks like loads of folk with the same problem.May be better to hide it at the moment until a fix appears for it.Something to do with the SP1 update that is coming shortly

birdface 10:32 14 Feb 2008

From another thread.click here

dms05 10:52 14 Feb 2008

Buteman - that makes it as clear as mud! However the one possible saving feature is KB938371 isn't needed if you install from CD, it's only needed if you install from the MS On-line Update service.

But if KB938371 won't install then you can't download SP1 over the Internet.

As I haven't installed anything other than MS recommended updates in my laptops short 2 weeks life span it seems an ill omen for SP1.

birdface 11:46 14 Feb 2008

I am sure that they will fix this problem within the next week or two.There is always one that causes problems to some users.If you hid that last update you can switch your Automatic updates back on if you wish.I just update mine manually.Its usually the 2nd Tuesday of every month and try one in between as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?