Windows failed to start ntoskrnl.exe missing/corru

Sparkly 10:01 19 Feb 2010

Hi all problem with our laptop,went to start it yesterday and got this message

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next”.
3. Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File : ntoskrnl.exe

Info : Windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt.
I managed to get it repaired with a vista recovery disk by clicking on the Repair my Computer but every time it updates it is back to the "Windows failed to start" screen and have to go through it all again, there have been no hardware/software changes, does anyone have any ideas what is causing this up untill yesterday the laptop has been fine.
Vista H/Premium
32bit OS
2gig ram

Technotiger 10:12 19 Feb 2010

Might be just a glitch in the Registry - try running Ccleaner click here in its default settings, might make a difference.

birdface 10:16 19 Feb 2010

Have you had any problems with your time and date changing.

northumbria61 10:17 19 Feb 2010
  Sparkly 10:21 19 Feb 2010

Technotiger,buteman,northumbria61
Thanks for the repies so quickly just about to go out so ill get back to you all a bit later.
Many thanks.

retep888 10:39 19 Feb 2010

NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt in Vista
click here

Be prepared for the worst and if you have an external caddy for 2.5" laptop hdd,use that to access your files and back up using another PC.
(actually suggest you doing that before attempting any repair)

Sparkly 18:37 19 Feb 2010

Hi again and sorry for the delay in getting back.
Technotiger, downloaded CCleaner as advised and did the clean up after that i installed the security updates that were giving problems (15) i did them one at a time so if it went pear shaped i would have an idea which one was the culprit and after a number of restarts it looks as if all is well again, many thanks Technotiger baled me out once more.
I will tick this now as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017