Windows Expores crashes

Chitterlow 13:29 06 Apr 2009

I have one 250G hard drive in my computer partitioned into 3 parts C, D, and E. I also have a 250G external drive K. When trying to explore C drive Windows Explorer hangs up and I have to call the task manager to close it. On other occasions it also happens when exploring other drives including the external one. If it was only the C drive I would conclude that the drive itself was faulty but as it happens sometimes to the external drive I am wondering if Windows Explorer has become corrupted.
Do you think it worthwhile using a register repair program, and if so can you recommend one (Free if possible). Chitterlow

Graphicool1 13:34 06 Apr 2009

WinXP or Vista

woodchip 14:32 06 Apr 2009

First run a Disc check, Double click on My Computer, Right Click on C:\ Properties\Tools choose a Full Scan and Fix of C:\ you will need to restart PC.

You could also if you have a Full XP Disc not Restore Disc from run type SFC /SCANNOW to check Windows Files

Chitterlow 07:55 07 Apr 2009

Thanks to Graphicool1 and woodchip for your early replies. I will try what you suggested. My machine runs on XP Home.

AlouetteIII 09:07 07 Apr 2009

If you have 'upgraded' to IE8, that could be the problem as I, and lots of others, have found it locks up frequently. Rolling back to IE7 cured the problem.

woodchip 14:41 07 Apr 2009

Windows Explorer not IE

Chitterlow 17:23 07 Apr 2009

Hi Guys
I have scanned my C drive and no errors were reported. When I also scanned my machine with the free versions of Regcure and Regfix they tell me I have many problems in my registry they can fix if only I will buy the full versions of the progs (but they would say that wouldn't they) Has anybody tried these programs and found them useful?.

Chitterlow

woodchip 22:01 07 Apr 2009

You do not need to pay anybody to fix your PC its a scam

brundle 22:09 07 Apr 2009

"Regcure and Regfix", yep, snakeoil designed to part people with their money.

Did you run SFC as advised by woodchip? click here

Chitterlow 23:04 07 Apr 2009

Hi brundle
I have just run scannow. A progress bar appeared and when it indicated the scan was complete it disappeared without any comment so I assume it did not find any corrupt files. I also just tried Windows explorer again but the problem persists.

Chitterlow

woodchip 23:15 07 Apr 2009

This may be a Internet Explorer Problem as its linked to Windows Explorer. What Version are you running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?