Windows Explorer - XP Home - CD or DVD

GJC 19:40 09 Oct 2005

Hi there!

Can anyone help with a long term problem?

If I insert a data disk (CD or DVD) in either of my DVD drives, Windows Explorer will happily display the contents.

If I then change the disk, Windows Explorer will ignore the fact that the disk has changed and continue to display the directory structure from the orignal disk, even so far as to allow me to select a directory in the left pane and show me the contents in the right pane (it doesn't matter if there's a disk in the drive or not).

Selecting "Refresh" (as suggested by Microsoft) has no effect. The only way to get the PC to recognise a different drive is to restart the PC (which is a bit inconvenient to say the least!)

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get explorer to recognise that the disk has been changed?

Some info which might help:

I have 2 DVD drives - a DVD-ROM & a DVD-Writer. I get the same problem on either drive.

Operating system is Windows XP Home with SP2

Auto-play is switched off

If you need to know anything else, please ask.

Thanks in advance!

Gary.

Diodorus Siculus 19:47 09 Oct 2005

My first port of call:

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker).

johnnyrocker 19:47 09 Oct 2005

what hapeens if you close and then re open explorer and point it at the drive with next cd?

johnny.

GJC 20:56 09 Oct 2005

Talk about "fast response" - this is amazing. I went to eat my dinner and already have 2 responses!

Okay - i'll try system file checker in a moment & let you know what happens.

What happens if I close & re-open explorer? I'm sure you can guess! Yep - it still thinks the original CD/DVD is in the drive! (Stupid machine!).

stalion 21:10 09 Oct 2005

so now you know always go to eat your dinner after posting and you will get a fast response lol

GJC 17:26 10 Oct 2005

Hi guys,

I tried running SFC, and it didn't make any corrections/changes, so I assume that my Windows installation is okay.

britto 17:48 10 Oct 2005

Do use the eject button on the drive when you change the disc if so try using the right click eject command in the My Computer window

GJC 11:18 16 Oct 2005

Okay, using "Eject" from the menu (as opposed to the eject button) kind of works.

The disk label doesn't get updated, nor does the directory tree in the left pane, but the right pane does show a correct list of files which I can access (and double clicking on a directory then updates the left pane) so thanks for that tip.

I'd still prefer it if the disk label & directory tree updated itself when a new disk was inserted, so if anyone has any more idea, I'm all ears!

Taff36 11:49 16 Oct 2005

You said in your first post that autoplay was switched off. What happens if you switch it back on?

muscic lover 14:17 16 Oct 2005

Dont suppose you may have a virus do you, or have the swine who write these not been able to get at you due to a strong firewall

GJC 15:08 16 Oct 2005

I haven't tried switching autoplay on yet - I will try that when I get a few minutes.

I don't think I've got a virus, as I run McAfee Internet Security all the time, and run regular AV scans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017