Windows Explorer in W7

Scrivers 23:23 14 Dec 2010

I am consistently irritated by a characteristic within the window explorer of Windows 7. I like to open the tree up to the folder I want using the left and pane. But left clicking on the folder arrow causes explorer to shift the whole tree down to the bottom of the page so that the folder I'm dealing with moves from centre page to the bottom of the page. I then have to heave it up to the centre pane. This happens every time. It didn't happen in windows explorer in XP. Anyone know whether it's possible to change this behaviour.

northumbria61 23:55 14 Dec 2010

Try using System File Checker to scan your OS for missing/corrupt files, complete these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.
3. At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation CD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows CD.

KremmenUK 07:26 15 Dec 2010

Unfortunately this is normal, mine does the same.

The sooner M$ sort out this whole Windows Explorer nonsense the better.

Why do we have to have same display for all folders, including Explorer?

I want no left hand tree for my Desktop folders but I do want a tree within Windows Explorer.

How can I explain this better? I know - just like XP does it !!!

Scrivers 10:25 15 Dec 2010

Thanks for your response northumbria and KremmenUK. I'll do the scan you suggest northumbria although it seems KremmenUK you have the same objectioalbe characteric

northumbria61 21:03 15 Dec 2010

As a matter of interest I don't get this problem with Windows 7 (64bit) so maybe doing the scan may sort it.

Scrivers 12:32 16 Dec 2010

northumbria61, can you remind me how to get to the clean c: prompt - I've forgotten (being of advanced years). On the cmd command I'm c:/users/barry which doesn't work of course.

I use a scan disk function in Advanced System Care very frequently but I'm not sure that it's as thorough as as using the proper scan you suggest.

This characteristic is really annoying. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it's doesn't. I'm still trying to work out why. Like you, I'm on 64bit.

woodchip 12:37 16 Dec 2010

What's it like if you open it using Windows Key + E

northumbria61 12:47 16 Dec 2010

You can get to Command Prompt (cmd) by clicking the Start button - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt OR alternatively type - cmd - in Start - search Box then click on cmd. Then type in sfc /scannow (leave a space between the sfc and backslash)

If you get an error saying you need Administrator privileges go back to "cmd" - right click and select "run as administrator"

Scrivers 20:48 16 Dec 2010

Done the scan and since then, so far, all seems to be well. If that hadn't worked I intended to try the Windows Key + E. If it plays up again I'll try that first. Many thanks for your help.

I am Spartacus 21:00 16 Dec 2010

Maybe try out the Libraries options? Creating a new ones and inlcuding a single folder in each might help with the navigation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone