Windows Explorer View

Faffingwaste 13:50 13 Feb 2009

Apologies for this question -- the answer must be so blindingly obvious, I'm ashamed to ask.

Anyway. . .

My PC and laptop both open the My Documents screen with one click on the Windows Explorer icon.

The Windows Explorer view is of a large pane on the right, a narrower pane on the left. The right pane shows all the main folders into which My Documents is sub-divided. The narrower, left pane shows the same information as a directory tree.

Opening up anything in the right pane still leaves the directory tree showing in the left pane.

A friend of mine has brought me his laptop to check over. It's fine. But when I open My Documents on his lappie, instead of the directory tree on the left there's just a list of icons for My Computer, Drive C, etc etc.

I know I'm being really, really thick here, but how do I change the Windows Explorer display to show the directory tree in the left pane?

I've hunted through everything -- tools, options, view, etc etc -- but can't find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

FreeCell 14:30 13 Feb 2009

In the Tool bar click on the icon called Folders.

If you don't have the Tool Bar go to View - Toolbar and select Standard Buttons.

Marko797 14:39 13 Feb 2009

Dbl click and open C drive. View, then go to Explorer Bar. Then click Folders and a tick should appear.

Faffingwaste 15:03 13 Feb 2009

Marko: many thanks (again today!) Also, FreeCell -- I'm off to play with friend's lappie now and follow the advice you've both given.

Much appreciated, regards to you both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?