Windows Explorer slowdown

Dan 21:53 20 Apr 2003

I'm using Windows XP on an Amd 2200 system with 1gb of ddr ram and am somewhat dismayed to find I'm still getting slowdown in Windows explorer when I open up directories on cds.

I store my digital camera images on cds but find that when opening large directories in Explorer in order to examine thumbnails it pretty much clogs up, effectively shutting the system down till it catches up with browser images of the files. Similarly when running Paintshop Pro6 if printing mulitple images, more than 6 or 7 makes the system incredibly sluggish.

Am I expecting too much from the system despite what I thought was quite a high system spec, or is there something in the system I can tweak?

AndySD 22:03 20 Apr 2003

You may be expecting a bit too much.... but try freeing some resources on the PC.

Go Start then Run and type in

msconfig

choose the Startup tab and using the Alphanumeric index buttons click here untick any not needed.

Also click here and check to see how many running (started) services you have on the pc.

Dan 22:13 20 Apr 2003

cheers AndySD, will have a go.

jeez 22:17 20 Apr 2003

doubt it given your spec, but if you've got a mismatched card this could explain things a little.

Dan 22:34 20 Apr 2003

graphics is a 64mb ti Geforce 4200. It should be fine. I can't help but wonder if its XP itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017