windows explorer settings

mad1234 10:45 19 Oct 2007

I'm back again guys
i am running XP on this PC & when i plug in a flash drive which contains images ie.tiff or jpeg files it opens with the right window set to filmstrip so i change it but when i go back in later whether i have unplugged it or not it is set back to filmstrip
is there any way to change the default setting so it opens in maybe thumbnails instead?
thanks mad

[email protected] 10:50 19 Oct 2007

right click the file type affected>properties>open with >select program and put a check in the tick box always open with

[email protected] 10:52 19 Oct 2007

sorry should be right click open with>choose program>select program >check box always open with

mad1234 11:01 19 Oct 2007

sorry *Raven* i'm not explaining myself very well.
it's not the program that the files open in it's the way windows explorer displays the files
ie. filmstrip,thumbnails,tiles, icons etc. that i'm trying to set

[email protected] 11:05 19 Oct 2007

in explorer select view,select type?

brundle 11:05 19 Oct 2007

TweakUI, under Explorer/Customizations, increase the number of folders remembered.
click here
click here

mad1234 11:32 19 Oct 2007

*Raven* i set that then if i go into another folder then back the settings have reset

brundle i have downloaded that & installed it & i have changed the number of folder remembered from 400 to 1000 but the same thing is happening. i must be doing something wrong:(

brundle 14:58 19 Oct 2007

Not necessarily. Look on the flash drive for files named desktop.ini, delete them. You will need to use Control Panel/Folders view to `Show hidden files and folders` or `Show System Files` (probably the latter)

mad1234 07:14 22 Oct 2007

thanks brundle. i tried that but i couldn't find any files named desktop.ini or anything similar. any other ideas?

brundle 12:14 22 Oct 2007

Search the drive with AgentRansack just to be sure; click here

brundle 12:19 22 Oct 2007

Try the `workaround` at the bottom of this page; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?