Windows Explorer Problem

legalrep 10:54 19 Apr 2006

I am running XP pro and have a problem with windows explorer when I click on the plus sign next to a folder nothing happens until I get a message saying (***) program not responding! any one have any ideas what may be happeming?

johnnyrocker 12:30 19 Apr 2006

if you have the xp disk, go to start/run and type in sfc /scannoww and insert disk when asked, this will replace any corrupt files and may solve your prob.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 12:31 19 Apr 2006

one w oops.

johnny

legalrep 13:13 19 Apr 2006

thanks Jonny have done this but has not solved the problem

legalrep 14:20 19 Apr 2006

Have just spoken to Evesham who say I have no alternative than to rinstall windows! please tell me this is not the only option!

Totally-braindead 14:29 19 Apr 2006

It may be but perhaps what they mean is repair windows. There are two options here. Reinstall which will destroy all the existing files and repair which will leave existing files intact and only overwrite Windows files. Heres how to REPAIR windows, follow the instructions exactly as you do not want to reinstall at this time click here I am unsure as to whether Evesham give you a full Windows disk or not as this will make a big difference to what you do next.
Do you have a full windows disk or is it a restore disk?

Coff 14:41 19 Apr 2006

This is only a possiblity. Have you only had this problem since installing the last batch of Windows Updates?

legalrep 14:42 19 Apr 2006

I only have a restore disk, Evesham have a system called PC Angel which is what they were suggesting I use, this comes pre installed I believe, I asked them about just going over the current windows but they said I would still lose everthing! is this not correct? your help is much valued.

legalrep 14:55 19 Apr 2006

Coff may well have I thought about this myself

Coff 15:05 19 Apr 2006

The Microsoft article is click here If you have Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software installed they tell you how to fix it. An easier way might be to run the fix from Kelly's Corner click here (No. 383 on the right hand side.)

If you haven't got the above software installed you could uninstall the update numbered KB908531 from Add or Remove Programs to see if this solves the problem. (This update protects your computer from a security exploit so removing it means your computer is still vulnerable to that exploit until Microsoft issue a modified update.)

Alternatively, you could try a third party explorer program until Microsoft issue an update.

legalrep 15:37 19 Apr 2006

Coff
You are a hero my friend!
Uninstalled update KB908531 and hey presto everything is fine! can't thank you enough for helping me out on this one, you are a star!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?