Windows Explorer not working properly - Windows XP

minigirl 20:58 08 Jan 2006

Hi, I've just got rid of a dialer virus but find I can't view any thumbnails or slideshow in Windows Explorer. I've tried system restore but hasn't helped. Not sure if I should scan in safe mode with AVG virus zapper package or what?
Any help appreciated, thanks :-)

VoG II 21:06 08 Jan 2006

Try using the System File Checker. Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

More info click here

PC Bilbo 21:13 08 Jan 2006

If you are running I.E.6 you could also try this fix
click here

minigirl 08:20 09 Jan 2006

Thanks,VoG - I used the System File Checker, and re booted but still no joy. I'll try your link PC Bilbo

minigirl 19:04 09 Jan 2006

Hi,I tried the I.E.6 fix, but it hasn't helped with Windows Explorer but my computer is working a bit faster!

I'm still wondering what's happened, I can't use slideshow facility or see any of my pics, they're just showing as icons. (I've run Adware and AVG which found a dialer and 'healed' it). Any more thoughts? Thank you

PC Bilbo 22:57 09 Jan 2006

Try this link to Microsoft Support . It will guide you how to fix or uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer although I'm a bit confused by your mention of slide shows.Was this an additional problem to I.E.?

click here

minigirl 08:58 10 Jan 2006

It's not Internet Explorer which is the problem, it is my windows explorer, where I store my pictures/photos and files. Sorry I didn't make that clear :-)

I've run AVG again but the virus is still there eek. Getting a bit worried now - what if AVG can't heal it?

keef66 09:07 10 Jan 2006

turn off system restore. Boot into safe mode and run AVG from there.
Also suggest you get hold of A-squared and run that in safe mode too.
Don't turn system restore back on until you're dialler free.

No idea about the windows explorer problem. maybe a repair install of Windows?

De Marcus™ 09:20 10 Jan 2006

This may be way off mark and I apologise if it's in anyway teaching you to suck eggs but you said " I can't use slideshow facility or see any of my pics, they're just showing as icons." Which would suggest to me that your pictures are set to be viewed as icons instead of thumbnails or a filmstrip. To change it, go to where your pictures are located and click on this icon click here(circled) and select thumbnail or filmstrip.

johndrew 10:21 10 Jan 2006

Whilst you`re in Safe Mode it may also be wise to run any other Spyware you have or get hold of something like Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S & D or Microsoft AntiSpyware (or all of them - they`re free) and run them.

minigirl 22:01 10 Jan 2006

Keef66
Many thanks, I will try that.

De Marcus
I did know about it as I use that facility a lot (no offence taken :-) ) but I can't use filmstrip or thumbnails, and this is since the virus hit. Thanks anyway!

johndrew
I have Adaware and AVG, so will go ahead and try them with safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?