Windows Explorer needs to shut down

dangerusone 13:39 03 Aug 2008

I downloaded a video clip and saved it to "My Music" now whenever I go to "My Music" before I can open any folder or file I'm getting the message

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down"

and then the computer freezes for a while before closing back to the desktop.
On the couple of occasions I've tried to delete the video clip I get the message

"Cannot delete,Access is denied - make sure the disk(sic) is not full or write protected or the file is not in use"

I've run
CCleaner
SpyBot
Adaware
Super Antispyware
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Doctor
AVG 8

I've also done System Restore all to no avail.
Can anyone here help?

Jak_1 13:49 03 Aug 2008

Boot the pc in safe mode, you should then be able to delete the file.
May be worth burning the file to a cd first in case it's not the file causing the problem.

dangerusone 14:02 03 Aug 2008

I thought about saving it on disc but thought I might just be reloading trouble afterwards.
I'll try booting in safe mode if you can point me in the right direction,never having done it before.
Many thanks

Jak_1 14:09 03 Aug 2008

Reboot the computer and keep tapping the F8 key, this will bring up a screen that gives you some options, use the arrow keys to navigate to basic safe mode.

dangerusone 14:28 03 Aug 2008

I just tried F8 and got nothing,opened in the usual way. I noticed whilst it was starting saying Press F2 for Set Up and F11 for Boot Menu

Thanks

Jak_1 14:31 03 Aug 2008

What OS are you using?

dangerusone 14:47 03 Aug 2008

Windows XP, I've tried tapping F8 and got nothing,opened as usual
F2 couldn't see any safe mode
F11 again couldn't see any safe mode,but whilst I was in the Boot menu I pressed Esc to start as normal and a screen opened giving about 3 options one of which was Safe Mode, and to use the up or down arrows to choose. The only trouble they wouldn't work and the seconds ticked away and the comp started as normal

Jak_1 14:53 03 Aug 2008

Hm, in XP, tapping the F8 key at bootup should give you that screen and allow you to use the navigation arrow keys.

The only other thing I can think of is to use your system cd to do a system repair, or use the sfc /scannow

dangerusone 15:31 03 Aug 2008

I can get to the Safe Mode screen which gives 3 Safe Mode option + The last time Your PC worked Ok and tells you to navigate to the option you want using the up/down keys, which won't work. I've tried 3 different keyboards thinking they might be at fault with no luck.
After 22 seconds it starts as normal.
Thanks for your help, if all else fails it's down to the local Computer shop (read whizz kid)

PO79 15:38 03 Aug 2008

Try this very handy free utility to delete or unlock the file.

click here

dangerusone 17:22 03 Aug 2008

PO79

I downloaded Unlocker and I'm glad to say it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks also to Jak_1 for taking the time and trouble to help.

I'll tick the box as solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?