Windows Explorer keeps not responding

playmofire 12:28 25 Mar 2010

I run a FSC Laptop with 2mb RAM and Vistas Home Premium. I have cut out the junk on the latter, e.g. Aeropane. Yesterday I downloaded the latest Windows update and since then the laptop has been slow to respond and there are problems with programs not responding, including Windows Explorer. Scans with Norton 360, Adaware, Spybot S&D, Malaware, a-squared free and SUPERantispyeware all show everything OK, so nsuspect the latest Windows update. Anyone had similar problems?

Technotiger 13:30 25 Mar 2010

Try a System Restore back to before you did the update.

birdface 13:34 25 Mar 2010

As you use Norton you will have to do the system restore in safe mode.
Then run Windows Updates manually and down load them one at a time till you find the one giving the problems then go to add remove and delete it.
When it reappears on the next updates click on the update and another box will open underneath just tick the box do not show update again.

playmofire 19:19 25 Mar 2010

Thanks, I'll try that. There was only one update involved which turns out to be one for IE8 which I don't use much.

rdave13 19:41 25 Mar 2010

You could also uninstall the update via programs and features first. Click on 'view installed updates' on the left hand side, select the update and it might allow you to uninstall it.

playmofire 20:33 25 Mar 2010

Thank you, it did indeed and I'll see how things go. Actually, this evening it's been back to being quite nippy again so maybe it was coincidence and nothing to do with the update, but as I don't usually use IE8 not having the update is probably not a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?