Windows Explorer / Internet Explorer Problems

rod45 20:09 23 Feb 2010

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a vye laptop running windows xp with an amd processor. I recently lost my Internet explorer so changed to firefox, then a few days ago that wouldn't open so I have just erased the hard drive using the recovery disc, now it's reloaded I can't open my computer, control panel or Internet explorer, it just opens the box saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close, when I click on the error report it says this file will be included in the report : c:\docume~1\rod\locals~1\temp\64de_appcompat.txt

Can someone help me solve this problem please.

Rod

northumbria61 21:05 23 Feb 2010

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully).

rod45 21:11 23 Feb 2010

Will that work with the recovery cd because I don't have the windows xp disc, the laptop came preloaded

northumbria61 21:52 23 Feb 2010

This explains the difference between an INSTALLATION disk and a RECOVERY disk - i misread your post. You say it is "now reloaded" so have you restored it to factory settings ?

northumbria61 21:52 23 Feb 2010

click here

This is the LINK

rod45 22:01 23 Feb 2010

Sorry yes it's been restored back to factory settings

Rod

northumbria61 22:10 23 Feb 2010

Did you restore from the restore partition on your hard drive or from the recovery disc you refer to?

northumbria61 22:33 23 Feb 2010

Hi Rod - What you refer to is a Windows System File. (c:\docume~1\rod\locals~1\temp\64de_appcompat.txt)

This LINK explains many similar to yours -
click here

rod45 06:46 24 Feb 2010

I restored from the recovery disc.

northumbria61 10:17 24 Feb 2010

Hi Rod
I no longer use XP but if that is the disc you were "supplied with?" it should have restored your computer back to its original state. If you insert the disc again does it give you the option to install or repair? If so I would try it again. In the meantime I will try and see if there is a way around getting you back to normal.

northumbria61 11:21 24 Feb 2010

Hi Ron - I don't have any knowledge of the VYE laptop apart from what I have seen and read (its the mini one - yes?) and I don't know what model you have but if you go to their support page it will give you 2 user manuals - I clicked on the S37 (PDF) manual and it gives full instructions on how to restore back to normal (Page 84-86)
If you are sure there is no "hidden" partition on your hard drive - press f11 on startup - then I would suggest you contact VYE Support from the same page on my LINK.

click here?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017