Windows explorer crashes

LevNet 10:56 22 Sep 2007

My Windows Explorer keeps crashing when I try to access my secondary hard drive. If I access the main C Drive everything runs okay, but accessing the D Drive I get the usual error message of Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have run my anti-virus software, all is okay, run Lavasoft, nothing to worry about, and even did a restore of the latest Registry Mechanic session, just to make sure that nothing was removed by mistake. This has only started to happen in the last couple of days and I have tried everything to fix it. I ran ShellExView and disabled all non-Microsoft apps, no effect, I tried SFC /SCANNOW and that insisted I put in the Windows XP Professional SP2 CD, I run XP Home, so it wouldn't continue. Any help on this problem would be appreciated. I can still access files and programs through links, etc on the secondary drive, but not through Windows Explorer.

VoG II 11:06 22 Sep 2007

This may help re SFC click here

LevNet 13:23 22 Sep 2007

Thanx for the heads up VoG, I followed the instructions, couldn't change the Strings in the IMS.inf file as it made no reference to Windows XP Professional. Changed the Fp40ext.inf as per instruction, still get the error message The CD you provided is the wrong Cd. Please insert your Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 CD in your CD-Rom.
Still get the explorer crash when I try to access the secondary drive. Lucky I did an Acronis back-up at the end of August, so I'll try restoring that to see if it resets the damn thing.

LevNet 22:41 24 Sep 2007

RE: Windows Explorer crashes.
This problem has now manifested itself into not allowing PowerDVD to load discs or videos, the same with Media Player, so I have to view DVDs and video through VideoLAN. Didn't wanna but I'm gonna have to do that damn image restore from Acronis.
Downloaded other File Managers and no crash problems there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone