Windows Explorer crashes

Jackcoms 16:15 08 Dec 2003

I'm using XP Home which has been very stable until a few days ago when, each time I used Windows Explorer or 'explored' files through My Computer, I received a pop-up warning 'Explorer has encountered a problem and must close'.

I was then returned to my desktop, the desktop icons briefly disappeared and returned and then I continued working.

In some cases, though, the PC froze entirely and I had no option but to re-boot to get it working again.

Any thoughts please?

Mankster 16:24 08 Dec 2003

Run "sfc /scannow" with xp cd in rom drive

Start/run/ then type sfc /scannow
not forgetting the space in betwen sfc & /

Jackcoms 16:47 08 Dec 2003

Mankster

Thanks for that.

But before I try it, what might I expect to happen/be told/achieve ??!!

spikeychris 16:55 08 Dec 2003

On behalf of Mankster (apologies if your still about) SFC will search for missing and corrupted system files and either repair them or replace them from your installation disk. Do you have a repair/reload disk or a full installation XP disk

Jackcoms 17:07 08 Dec 2003

I've just run sfc /scannow but didn't insert the XP disk as I only have a re-installation disk as supplied by Dell NOT a MS disk.

The scan didn't report any probs.

Should I run it again but this time using the Dell re-installation disk?

Jackcoms 17:42 08 Dec 2003

I ran the scan again with the XP CD in the drive. Again no probs reported - although the CD drive wasn't actually spinning whilst the scan was running.

Windows Explorer has just crashed again!

Any further ideas?

spikeychris 17:49 08 Dec 2003

start,run and type eventvwr hit enter look for the red crosses under system and post the problem.

Jackcoms 18:04 08 Dec 2003

Under Application there are a whole series of Application Errors coinciding (I think) with when Explorer hung.

Under System there are a series of Error messages with the Source being DCOM. The Source is Application Hang, Category 101 or Application Error. Again they seem to coincide with the Explorer crashes.

Unfortunately, none of this means anything to me!

spikeychris 18:10 08 Dec 2003

Click the URL and post the page.

Jackcoms 18:25 08 Dec 2003

Spikey

Jackcoms 18:25 08 Dec 2003

Spikey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?