Windows Explorer closing down then starting up

Sara K 18:13 27 Jan 2008

I have a Vista (32 bit) PC.

Everything has been fine until a couple of days ago. Now almost every time I close a folder or package and move my mouse, I get a message to tell me there is a problem with Windows Explorer and it is closing down. It only takes 2 or 3 seconnds to start up again but it is very annoying.

The problem may have started about the same time as I used a friend's portable hard drive to copy files both ways. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. The drive has now been disconnected.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Sara

woodchip 18:17 27 Jan 2008

Try typing in Run box

SFC /SCANNOW press enter.

Also try Right click C:\ drive properties\tools choose check disc

Sara K 18:46 27 Jan 2008

Thanks

I the check disk and had some unindexed files processed. Didn't seem to be anything wrong but I'll have to wait and see if the problem persists.

When I ran scannow something just flashwed up and disappeared on screen very quicly then nothing else happened.

Also I was very close to running out of disk space on my C drive before I deleted some files.

woodchip 18:52 27 Jan 2008

for SFC you need to have a space before /

Sara K 18:55 27 Jan 2008

Yes. I typed it as below. No error message appeared but something flashed up and disappeared very very quickly.

SFC /SCANNOW

Thanks

anskyber 20:47 27 Jan 2008

Type sfc /scannow in the search box then when it shows in the results right click the program and choose run as administrator. It should run then.

anskyber 20:48 27 Jan 2008

PS do you have the Vista DVD? If so you can do a startup repair. click here

anskyber 20:50 27 Jan 2008

Or of course try a system restore to before you had the problem. click here

Sara K 22:06 27 Jan 2008

Thanks for your help.

The search doesn't find anything unfortunately.

I may try the startup repair later but it seems drastic since everything else seems ok.

I tried the system restore before only to find that there were no restore points there. This was strange as I have used this before. It may have had something to do with running out of space on the c drive.

Anyway thanks to all for your advice. I will keep trying to fix this problem.

Sara

woodchip 22:12 27 Jan 2008

For System restore when it as stopped working, turn it off then back on this clears all old restore points, but they are no good as it does not work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone