Windows Explorer

technique 10:31 28 Feb 2010

Have a virus that I'm trying to delete from my laptop on another thread in here. During one of the recommended stages of deletion I received a Windows Explorer error "Windows Explorer has to close" was part of the error message.

Now when I launch Windows in either Normal or in Safe Mode, Windows Explorer does not launch. I therefore end up with a blank screen and mouse pointer.

I cannot right click to access anything/nothing comes up.

I cannot launch a program through Task Manager because when I CTRL+ALT+DEL the Task Manager option is greyed out.

I have probably the only laptop without a Windows key on the keyboard so no idea how to launch the Start menu even if I thought that would do anything.

Does anyone know how I can restore/launch Windows Explorer on such an occasion?

Thanks in advance

birdface 10:36 28 Feb 2010

maybe last good configuration in safe mode.

technique 10:37 28 Feb 2010

No, unfortunately not. None of the Safe Mode options give me anything different.

Technotiger 10:39 28 Feb 2010

If you have your original OS disc, you could try booting with that and run a Repair.

birdface 10:42 28 Feb 2010

Anything on here that will help.

click here

technique 10:47 28 Feb 2010

Again unable to do that as I don't have the recovery CD... the laptop isn't a personal one

Technotiger 11:02 28 Feb 2010

If you mean it is a Works laptop, perhaps your IT Pro could sort it.

technique 11:23 28 Feb 2010

Would prefer a route by some other means - looking to avoid discussing with work that it's screwed plus the virus that lead to Win Explorer disappearing on me being frowned upon. If no other choices exist then will have to ask them for a recovery CD but thought I'd try here first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?