windows drops wirless connection

peug417 15:23 21 Nov 2006

Vaio laptop running winxp DLINK DWL 650+ connecting to DLINK G604 router. Has been working perfectly for over a month (card is a month old) vaio is set up for windows to connect to the network rather than the dlink utility. address of 192.168.1.5 has been assigned to the vaio as per the ipconfig screen. Have statically assigned this in the setup of the router on 192.168.1.1 Everything runs fine, Then all of a sudden I will get a message bubble stating windows cannot detect network. sometimes if I remove & replace the card it will sometimes reconnect, other times even a reboot will not work and I just have to be patient and after no specific time it will connect. This is getting annoying now and I can't see any obvious explanation. The only change I have made is an update to IE 7.

Chrisann 13:42 22 Nov 2006

I don't know if you are having similar problems to me..but after downloading upgrades on Monday I now can't get any wireless networking on my laptop and it worked fine till then.

Not sure how to fix it though..wish someone did.

Chrisann,

dms05 10:42 23 Nov 2006

peug417 - have you tried using dynamic addressing and letting the DLink sort it all out? I use some DLink equipment and I never try to set static addressing.

Otherwise maybe you could try changing the channel for the WiFi. Try them all from 1-11 when the problem occurs. Maybe it's another wireless network interfering?

Prancer 12:00 23 Nov 2006

I have the same problem, using USR 9107 gateway - used to work perfectly until a couple of days ago - now no wireless network detected by Win XP. Have upgraded the unit's software but still no joy.

I wondered about a virus (???) but keep my antivirus and antispyware programmes up to date and run them regularly.

Chrisann 13:46 23 Nov 2006

Prancer Hi

Well I'm not hving any joy in finding a Wireless network now on either my desktop set up or laptop. I am sure it is to do with critical updates that I downloaded on Monday..Nothin worked after that and it keeps referring me to the Microsoft website..but can't configure what to do next.

Any help from anyone out there...Its as if my wireless network has just gone into space..!!

Chrisann.

Prancer 06:37 24 Nov 2006

Hi Chrisann

I still wonder whether it may be a virus as I now get messages to turn on the wireless switch, which is already on. I suppose the other possibility is that the switch is faulty. The LAN works fine when wired in.

Any ideas anybody?

Prancer

Prancer 06:48 24 Nov 2006

Have just looked at the wireless Properties and find the adaptor is disabled. Windows tries to enable it but fails. ???

Prancer 08:56 24 Nov 2006

Have found the answer - perhaps it will help you too.

System Restore cured my problem - good luck!

Prancer

Chrisann 15:51 24 Nov 2006

Glad you have sorted the problem.but my restore point is marked up as today so that won't help me really...Thanks anyway.

Chrisann....

postie24 15:55 24 Nov 2006

The ie 7 download is causing all sorts of probs at the mo for some.If you cant sort wireless connection out ,uninstall ie 7 from add and remove in control panel until the probs are ironed out with ie 7.Ie 6 will be restored as normal

peug417 20:27 24 Nov 2006

apologies for not responding sooner, I have had other issues to deal with. Though I feel this thread has been sidejacked I can confirm the following relating to my initial issue.....

dms05.. I have tried the dynamic approach with the same results.

Postie24.. have uninstalled IE7 again with the same results.

Prancer.. I had already tried system restore to no avail..

So I took drastic action and wiped the hard drive and began reinstalling things bit by bit.
Then it all became clear...

The network card is faulty.... How do I know this. It suddenly wouldn't detect in one of the pc slots. worked in the other though still no network. I retrieved my old card from my sons laptop and normal service is resumed no dropped conections at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?