Windows doesn't like device manufacturer's drivers

Scarlet Frog 19:46 28 Apr 2003

Win 98 SE, installed late '99.
I prefer to download driver updates for peripherals onto CD, but when I then try to install them (via control panel/system/device manager and update driver and point at the folder on the CD), I invariably get the message that "the most suitable driver for this device is already in use".
I cannot understand how an O.S. installed several years ago can have a more suitable driver than the device manufacturer's web site downloaded last month.
Can I force windows to accept the new driver? And am I likely to suffer problems by forcing it to install a driver which it considers less suitable?

barrie_g 19:50 28 Apr 2003

quite often what you download is not a driver but an installer ie. its the driver but you need to run the installer to open the driver.

best way i found is to double click the icon on the cd so that it runs and then go to device manager update driver and just let it find it and it should work no probs.

Totally-braindead 20:14 28 Apr 2003

Windows does this all the time, just carry on loading the new driver, as an example it always tells me(when I'm reinstalling my modem) that the driver is either not written specifically for the device or the best driver is already loaded. If you listened to windows you'd never be able to install a new driver for anything.

Totally-braindead 20:24 28 Apr 2003

Sorry just noticed the second part of your question, proving the driver is the correct one for the device and its for the correct operating system, in your case Win98SE then there will be no problem. However I have to point out that sometimes a particular program will not like the new driver, usually this is due to an incompatability between the driver and the program you're using and you sometimes have to revert to a previous driver. This is particularly true of graphics card drivers. As an example recently I've had 2 games which wouldn't run properly, the second of the games James Bond Nightfire was totally unplayable as it didn't like my graphics card, a Radeon 9000 with the latest drivers, the solution was to revert to the previous driver for the graphics card which works fine. I'm not telling you this to put you off, I still think its a good idea to update your drivers but I'm glad you back them up as its always handing to have them available if you have problems and have to revert to the previous driver. You won't know till you try.

Totally-braindead 20:27 28 Apr 2003

Meant to say providing rather than proving. And meant to say handy rather than handing. I think I'm inventing new words, sorry.

Scarlet Frog 12:01 29 Apr 2003

I'll give it a whirl then
Many thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?