Windows Disk Defragmenter that does not Defrag

User-1BD6D3E1-0CC3-49F6-BF40FF97E4E996B4 15:37 07 Jan 2009

Hi,

For a while now my HD C: does not seem to defrag properly, whenever I analyze the drive it says I should defrag the drive and when I do it looks by the graph anyway it is defragging as most of it is blue, though the last half is green and then a bit of white follwed by green again. I have had a couple of power cuts not all that long ago while the computer was and I'm not sure if this may have messed things up.

Anyone know why this could be?

I have saved the report anyway have have pasted it below.
Volume HDD (C:)
Volume size = 29.99 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 22.31 GB
Free space = 7.68 GB
Percent free space = 25 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 13 %
File fragmentation = 26 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 60,239
Average file size = 461 KB
Total fragmented files = 2
Total excess fragments = 10
Average fragments per file = 1.00

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 3.00 GB
Total fragments = 5

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 5,482
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 76 MB
MFT record count = 65,782
Percent MFT in use = 84 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

---------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
None

anniesboy68 16:39 07 Jan 2009

Have a look for an alternative free defragger, there is one on offer in the Computer Active mag this week

The Kestrel 16:50 07 Jan 2009

I can recommend the Auslogics disc defrag, which is free click here

Terminus90 16:53 07 Jan 2009

If your drive analysis shows no red then you have no fragmented areas on your drive. But if you need a second opinion then click here try this one

DieSse 17:22 07 Jan 2009

The green bits are files that are locked/set to read only (or similar) and/or shouldn't or can't be moved. That's why defraggers that run within Windows can't and/or shouldn't move them.

Only red bits are fragmented files (as per above).

The Windows defragmenter isn't supposed to remove all the empty space to the end of the drive - it only defragments files.

Whilst other deframneters may do a perfectly serviceable job - IMHO they won't speed a system up any more than the standard Windows one.

Also IMHO defragmenting is a highly overrated thing to do, and for average users should only be run every few months or so.

DieSse 17:25 07 Jan 2009

"...though the last half is green"

That doesn't look normal - I don't think you should have unmoveable files amounting to half your drive.

T0SH 21:05 07 Jan 2009

Try changing your page file to let windows manage it

From your report it looks to be set to a fixed size of 3.00GB which on a 30.00 GB is 10% of your drive

Also reduce the space allocated to System Restore

These are the two of the main files that will show up in green representing "unmoveable"

Cheers HC

GaT7 21:40 07 Jan 2009

Dump Windows defragmenter & use the excellent, free JKDefrag instead click here.

"Also IMHO defragmenting is a highly overrated thing to do, and for average users should only be run every few months or so." - in full agreement on that. G

maghemite 11:33 08 Jan 2009

"Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 3.00 GB
Total fragments = 5

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 76 MB
MFT record count = 65,782
Percent MFT in use = 84 %
Total MFT fragments = 3"

This is probably the reason why you are unable to defrag further. The Windows defragmenter can warn you about fragmentation of the page file and the MFT, but it cannot actually defragment those files. None of the freeware defragmenters can process the MFT as far as I am aware.

Head over to click here where you can download free 30 day trial versions of Diskeeper 2009. Install and run a normal defrag (best use automatic mode), followed by a boot-time defrag to defrag the MFT and page file. Diskeeper will defrag everything, and it works as a full version for 30 days, so no worries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?