windows defender wont run help!!!!!

skippytibb 18:53 02 Jan 2007

can anyone help please? i keep getting the message that defender encountered a problem and cant initialise the number given is 0x800106ba i have looked on the help site to try and run manually but cant find anything i have also tried to unistall but it wont, any ideas? thanx

Chris the Ancient 19:08 02 Jan 2007

I know that it's no consolation, but I've had more than my fair share of problems with Defender lately.

The only way I found to uninstall it (and not with that much success) is to run the original WindowsDefender.msi file and select the uninstall option that way. I certainly didn't get an overwhelming success with trying to do it through the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

skidzy 19:14 02 Jan 2007

This error is popping up all over MS sites with no real fix just yet.However i have this,and may just help.

1. Register the following files
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 wuapi.dll.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: wuaueng.dll, wucltui.dll,
wups.dll, wuweb.dll, atl.dll.

2. Register the following files
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 Softpub.dll.
Click OK.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll,
Mssip32.dll.

click here

Personally i would get rid of Defender as soon as you are able to.Thats from my experience's with Defender.

birdface 19:22 02 Jan 2007

Delete it from add remove ,better off without it,

birdface 20:00 02 Jan 2007

Have had nothing but trouble since I up-dated it last week,Cant really point the finger at it,but all my problems started about the same time,So I have deleted it, Should have done it months ago,

Pengy1 21:42 02 Jan 2007

The error message is because the Beta Defender ceased on 31/12/06.I have cleared this on 8 machines so far by deleting Defender via add/remove programmes in control panel & downloading the latest Defender from the microsoft website.

Taff™ 00:24 03 Jan 2007

Spot On! Beta version ran out last year. Remove via Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and re-install the latest version click here

Same with anyone with warnings from AVG - Remove and re-install the latest version available from click here

skippytibb 15:45 03 Jan 2007

hi there thanks for all the response i had about defender not running properly i did what most suggested and got rid FAST!!!! THANKS AGAIN

Taff™ 06:25 05 Jan 2007

That`s a shame. A free "Real Time" piece of software that works well. Never mind - tick for resolved then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?