Windows Defender / virus scanning

quacka 20:22 10 Jan 2007

Every time I log on I get a message saying that my Windows Defender has failed to initialise and that therefore I cannot use the service. Any suggestions as to how this can be reactivated?
And....when I checked my antivirus log review I noticed that at the end of all of my files there were the words: "failed to scan" even though I had successfully (or so I thought) scanned them. I wonder whether these two 'anomalies' are connected?
Can anyone help, please?
Many thanks
Quacka

skidzy 20:30 10 Jan 2007

Are you still trying to use the beta version that expired recently.click here

skidzy 20:33 10 Jan 2007

Just to add to this,are you using Defender as a Virus Scanner...this is a realtime antispyware program and not an ANTIVIRUS.

Antivirus downloads:

AVG free click here

Avast free
click here

Remember,no more than one Antivirus is to be installed.

Any further advice if needed,post back...

quacka 21:38 11 Jan 2007

Skidzy,
Yes, thanks a lot - Windows Defender now up and running again - you're a star!
I'm using E-Trust antivirus but it appears to be not working (see above). Any suggestions?
Many thanks again.
Quacka

skidzy 21:46 11 Jan 2007

Are you using the full paid version,or trial E-Trust

skidzy 21:58 11 Jan 2007

Via Email:

Skidzy, Many thanks for your reply and, yes, Windows Defender now up and running again thanks to you! I'm using E-Trust antivirus but it seems not to be working as when I looked at my log review after doing a scan which seemed to be successful all of the files had the words "scan failed" after them. Thanks again for all your help - you're a star! Quacka

Quacka

Thankyou for the email,but please post all responses here at PCA in your thread as this may help solve your further problem.

The email facility is for invites only.

quacka 15:33 12 Jan 2007

Sorry, Skidzy - first time I've used this facility and trying to find my way around it!
I don't know if the antivirus is a trial one or not - it was on the computer when I bought it about a year ago. How do I find out, please?
Thanks again.
Quacka

Jackcoms 15:39 12 Jan 2007

"How do I find out, please?"

It should say either on the program or the documentation which came with the PC.

Have you looked??

quacka 16:07 12 Jan 2007

Jackcoms,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've looked on the computer programme but can only find the version type which is: 7.0.1.6. and expiry date of 4/6/07.
This probably means it's a bought one?
Quacka

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?