Windows Defender "Service has stopped"

ardeebee 12:44 28 Feb 2011

Windows Defender is set to start when I log into Windows (XP Home premium) but within a few seconds it closes down with the message "Service has stopped. A problem caused this program's service to stop." It can be started again manually and then appears to keep running.
Any suggestions why this should occur and how I can prevent it happening in future.
I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011.

johndrew 13:57 28 Feb 2011

AVG automatically shuts Windows Defender as it starts. The only way to have both running is to manually start Defender after you are up and running.

ardeebee 15:21 28 Feb 2011

Thank you. I wondered if that might be the reason. Does the version of AVG that I have give sufficient protection to run without Windows Defender?

johndrew 14:20 01 Mar 2011

I would run Spyware Blaster click here which blocks 'nasties' and something like Spyware Terminator click here on top of AVG. No single product will give 100% protection/detection and it is difficult to get even a selection that covers everything.

However, you must never run more than one anti-virus program at any time as they will almost certainly conflict and cause problems. You can run an anti-spyware program in parallel as they are unlikely to do so. Those above will run quite happily with AVG.

ardeebee 14:58 01 Mar 2011

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?