Windows defender service being stopped

lonemascot 21:40 20 Mar 2007

When i log on to my lappy i receive this message on startup

application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problems caused windows defender service to stop. to start the service restart the computer or search help and support on how to restart the service manually.

I have tried restarting and changing the way the program starts in the service section of administrator tools in control panel. it was disabled but i changed it to automatically start however it still won't get rid of this message.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

brundle 21:42 20 Mar 2007

Have you got the latest one? click here

Majorgeeks list a newer version but I looked at the file and still saw version number 1593
click here

birdface 00:47 21 Mar 2007

Does it matter ,There are a few on here that like Windows Defender,On recent threads about 20% thought it was a good program,About 60% thought that it did nothing,The rest were not sure,In my opinion ,unless you get at least 75% or 80% for a Program,It is not worth using,I am one of the 60%.This is a rough estimate in my opinion,But as near as I can get it.My opinion ,Dump it.

€dstowe 06:41 21 Mar 2007

This seems to be a common problem click here

What use is a defence and security program that can't be bothered to start up? Never get that with the ones I (and a lot of others) use. Chuck it out and get something that's reliable and does the job properly.

Taff™ 08:20 21 Mar 2007

Uninstall Defender from Add/Remove, reboot and download the latest version from click here

oldbeefer2 08:31 21 Mar 2007

I thought Defender was supposed to just work in the background. Mine has been running for over a year. When I have checked computer for malware etc, nothing has shown up, so perhaps it does work?

Andsome 08:44 21 Mar 2007

I got rid of it ages ago. When A Squared and SUPERAntiSpyware found problems it found absolutely nothing.

[email protected] 09:17 21 Mar 2007

this was done by a competitor, so they are hardley going to recommend it, interesting read though
click here

[email protected] 09:19 21 Mar 2007

actually, it appears pc tools had nothing to do with the tests, they just funded the project

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?