Is Windows Defender good enough

wilfinfrance 15:07 18 Jun 2017

I have used AVG antivirus for years and always been happy, but it is now getting very pricey, especially when they produce extras which all seem to be another £20 or so. I asked about Windows Defender and have been told it is not good enough. You did not even mention it in your reviews. Is Defender good enough on its own please?

wee eddie 15:09 18 Jun 2017

No

rdave13 15:11 18 Jun 2017

On Windows 10 I run Defender and Malwarebytes Premium and that's it on all four laptops.

rdave13 15:23 18 Jun 2017

Not keen on auction sites, so beware, but you may as well have a gander of this .

Govan1x 17:40 18 Jun 2017

No it's not although you get some members using it they usually have their computers well backed up in case of problems.

Just Google Avg sale or whatever and you will get it at a fraction of the cost that you were getting from AVG direct.

rdave13 18:09 18 Jun 2017

I know I go against a lot of highly respected members' advice here but I would just go with Malwarebytes premium and Defender. Over the years I've tried most AVs and at the time they served a purpose. Today's threats are different from even a couple of years ago. If you need an AV I would go for a cloud based one such as Panda and use the free version. That will disable Defender then use in conjunction with Malwarebytes premium. Just my thoughts and my own experience in security.

Lorraine Baines-McFly 18:20 18 Jun 2017

Never had a problem with Windows Defender. In-fact it has been evolving rapidly. Anyone saying its not good enough as a free Anti-Virus is clearly harping to days past. The current version on an updated Creators Edition of Windows 10 is 4.11.15630

AVTEST.org

rdave13 18:29 18 Jun 2017

I agree Defender is getting better as it shows in the preview versions of 10. I still run two security apps though.

wee eddie 08:48 19 Jun 2017

If you are a Saint and very savvy in what you click on, Defender will be sufficient. if you're not, go elsewhere.

There is absolutely no need to spend any money but, all the Free AVs require you to do the Upgrades and run the Scans, yourself.

john bunyan 09:11 19 Jun 2017

I agree with rdave13. The latest w 10 version of Defender seems even better . I use it alongside MBAM premium with no problem, and my local repair shop agrees.

wee eddie 10:52 19 Jun 2017

Surely, buying MBAM Premium (it costs about £20) totally negates the reason for having a Free AV

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires