Windows Defender : fails to initialize

LEGGGGY 11:47 25 Jul 2009

hi,, for some unknown reason to me Windows Defender has failed to initialize this morning and i get an error box stating :

application has failed to initialize : 0x800106ba
a problem caused this programs service to stop.

any help please..also does this application need to run ?

rdave13 11:54 25 Jul 2009

Have a look here; click here

LEGGGGY 12:09 25 Jul 2009

hi rdave13 ,, it doesnt list windows defender in the programme list so i cant select it to delete it !!! any thoughts...

mooly 12:15 25 Jul 2009

Did you read last few posts here,
click here

LEGGGGY 12:21 25 Jul 2009

hi yes i had but a) dont seem to be able to find software explorer and b) i still dont know if i need to have defender running or not,, i have mcafee software for all my security !!!!

mooly 12:26 25 Jul 2009

Try this, click the start orb bottom left, and type in the start search box bottom left, defender. Should appear at the top left as a program to click and open. Will say Windows Defender. Do so and click "tools" and then "software explorer"
Does that find it ?

LEGGGGY 12:29 25 Jul 2009

no it just comes up with the error box ie failed to initialize 0x800106ba !!!

mooly 12:31 25 Jul 2009

I'm thinking, seem to keep mentioning this lately,
try running sfc utility to repair corrupt files. Click the start orb, type cmd.exe in the box and right click it when it appears at the top left to run as admin.
Type sfc /SCANNOW
Takes 30 to 40 minutes or so to complete.

mooly 12:40 25 Jul 2009

Also you can try system restore to go back before problem occured.
As to having Defender running, I don't. FSecure recommend not too anyway, and running just the one security package seems to work well. Occasionally do a manual scan with "Superantispyware" which finds nothing apart from a few low threat adware cookies etc that reappear anyway as soon as you go online. Have done manual scans with defender from curiosity and it's never found anything.

LEGGGGY 12:40 25 Jul 2009

HI running now currently 40% what do i do once scan is complete ?

mooly 12:44 25 Jul 2009

See at the end if it says anything was found or not.
Should say (if there were no problems) "Windows found no file violations" in a way you hope there are and it fixes them.
I would just reboot then and try it to see if it's "fixed"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?