PEG007 15:33 08 Sep 2009

How do I uninstall this?

rdave13 15:36 08 Sep 2009

You can only disable it in Vista; click here
Add/remove in XP.

ened 15:42 08 Sep 2009

Why do you want to?

PEG007 15:42 08 Sep 2009

Thanks. Should have said using XP pro. Unfortunately no option to Remove in Add/remove.

PEG007 15:48 08 Sep 2009

Not running as far as I can see and there is an updater shield permanently placed on the task barinviring me to download a Definition update KB915597. All attempts to install the update fail and the yellow shield reappears.

rdave13 15:50 08 Sep 2009

Unable to Uninstall Windows Defender in XP:

This issue happens due to corrupted DLL library. To resolve this error, download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility. Download it from the following link:

click here

You can also try uninstalling the Windows Defender program by running the uninstall command option from Run.

Click Start, Type Run, and type the following:

msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi /quiet /log uninstall.log

NOTE: This method only works in Windows XP and is not applicable for Windows Vista.

From this link; click here

ened 15:54 08 Sep 2009

I like Defender and the fact that you don't think it is running is one of the reasons.

Regarding the updates, I have had the same problem sometimes if I do a System Restore. It can be resolved by updating manually.

But if you doin't like it then you don't like it!

PEG007 16:00 08 Sep 2009

Had visited the Microsoft site earlier and tried both the cleanup utility and the uninstall via Run. Neither appear to have worked as the updater icon is still in the taskbar. I did a system restore a few days ago so I'll try a manual update.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone