Windows Defender

provider 2 15:52 19 Dec 2006

Would I be right in thinking Windows Defender is a total waste of space? In the three weeks it has been running on my PC it has picked up nothing whatsoever except Microsoft updates.

VoG II 15:53 19 Dec 2006

It will only pick something up if your PC is infected!

provider 2 15:59 19 Dec 2006

Understood, but Spybot S&D and AD-Aware SE seem to be picking up spyware frequently on the same PC and I understood WD is set to run in real time.

Crook 16:06 19 Dec 2006

I use this every day together with AVG Free and Spbot etc and they keepme free from fear!

provider 2 16:09 19 Dec 2006

Yes, Crook, but is it enough? I mean would you keep a dog and bark yourself?

Jackcoms 16:38 19 Dec 2006

"but Spybot S&D and AD-Aware SE seem to be picking up spyware frequently"

That's the nature of the game with anti-malware scanners.

If you have look at how many files they scan, there are often vast differences - some programs scan a damn site more than others.

I use Defender as my real-time scanner together with SpywareBlaster as a blocker and A2 as a stand-alone scanner.

Perfectly happy with all three.

Never been infected - mind you, I stay away from dodgy sites and use a lot of common sense as well.

Mr Beeline 16:53 19 Dec 2006

Spybot and Adaware tend to pick up "tracking cookies", while Defender tends to ignore then, as they are a pretty low level threat (well not really one at all).

provider 2 17:01 19 Dec 2006

I`m not too sure that tracking cookies are not a threat. In any case I would prefer to know they are there rather than be kept in the dark by a program that claims to be anti-spyware.

rawprawn 17:04 19 Dec 2006

Try Spyware Terminator, it is free and offers real time sanning. I can recommend it. (I also do run Win Defender)
click here

provider 2 17:15 19 Dec 2006

Tried it, rawprawn, but I made the mistake of downloading the AV Clam (?) anti-virus that comes with it which started a major conflict with avast! and I decided it was not for me. Also, the Spyware Warrior site seems none too sure about its respectability.

GEEKSTA 17:22 19 Dec 2006

I think it is a waste of time!
When I had it, it wouldnt update properly what so ever.
Not to mention how slow it is!
Im now using Spyware Doctor which is perfect for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?