Windows Defender

heavymetalkid 20:41 08 Apr 2006

Just finished reading about the new Windows Defender and it sounds impressive. I've already got Ad-Aware and Spybot. has anyone tried it and would it co-exist with the aforementioned two?

rdave13 20:45 08 Apr 2006

Just put "windows defender" in the search box(top right) and you'll get loads of threads on the topic.

VoG II 20:50 08 Apr 2006

Yes it co-exists quite happily.

hzhzhz 21:12 08 Apr 2006

I cant understand the enthusiasm for defender. The old version was useless and so is the new one. I reckon it just sits there gathering info on spyware and antispy programs in prep for vista which as I understand it will virtually do away with the need for any antispyware progs.

heavymetalkid 21:24 08 Apr 2006

Thanks guys but .....I'm confused?????

rdave13 21:26 08 Apr 2006

So am I.

gudgulf 21:28 08 Apr 2006

Vista includes Defender as standard.

Just because Defender runs completely in the background does not mean it is either useless or not doing anything.Defender does not deal with tracking or other cookies but it's real time system protection makes up for that.

If you want a full featured more accessible alternative then Sunbelt's Counterspy is one of the best products on the market and is based on the same engine as Defender.......not free but reasonably priced.

hzhzhz 21:30 08 Apr 2006

Dont let me put you off. Defender is recommended by some great members of this forum. I just gave my opinion. I didn't find MS antispy to be effective and I didn't find Defender to be either.

hzhzhz 21:32 08 Apr 2006

I find that Spywareblaster is the best antispy Ive used so far.

ade.h 21:38 08 Apr 2006

Its flexibility with regard to scan schedules and updating certainly leaves a lot to be desired. If it were not for its (AFAIK) unique position as the only free scanner to include active scanning, I would not use it. Spywareblaster, though it functions very differently, is a good alternative.

heavymetalkid 21:42 08 Apr 2006

I omitted to mention I've got Spywareblaster too. Greedy or what? Anything wrong with adding Defender to my collection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache