Windows could not upgrade one or more files

Allen1946 14:48 12 Mar 2003

Using Windows ME.
I am trying to install Directx V9 to provide files needed by DVDx. After downloading Directx and restarting the system I get several screens of 'Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1: %2' followed by a completion message saying that one or more files could not be updated.
There is a hit for this problem in the Microsoft Knowledge base - article 283069 - which says rename file wininit.ini to wininit.old but when I search for this file it is not found. I have tried de installing DVDx and re installing Directx but still get the problem.
All other applications are working normally.
Any ideas?

mackaycc 15:02 12 Mar 2003

When searching, make sure that system files and hidden files are included in the search. I think, by default, they do not get listed.

Otherwise, navigate to the Windows/System folder and find the file manually.

boon_intheuk 12:26 11 Oct 2003

just saving this thread

boon_intheuk 23:19 11 Oct 2003

I am also having this problem while installing PowerDVD XP (I think it wanted to install directX as part of the install), I have set the "view" options so that I can see hidden files but the search option still cannot find this wininit.ini file and I have searched the windows directory without success.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks, Boon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?