windows corrupt file?

musopoet 15:07 20 May 2009

What a day! This problem relates to my other PC! - Not the one that won't boot up!

Tried to play music - MP3s via windows media player - no volume - and got the following message on screen:

'Windows corrupt file - file or directory C:\windows\registration is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chdisk utility'

Don't understand the message or what the chdisk utility is!???

rawprawn 15:22 20 May 2009

Which operating system are you using?

musopoet 15:28 20 May 2009

windows xp professional

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 20 May 2009

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 20 May 2009

or In My computor - right click C drive - prperties -tools tab - check for errors.

musopoet 15:35 20 May 2009

Cheers.

I'll try both remedies. Could this problem have occured due to me downloading mp3 files. a friend sent me some but couldn't get volume then i got the problem message

musopoet 15:39 20 May 2009

tried the c drive remedy but couldn't - was asked to close down pc and restart but afraid might not be able to reboot once closed -

rawprawn 15:43 20 May 2009

To run chckdsk, you must close down your compter.
If you are worried about that try the sfc option, you will need your XP disc

musopoet 16:02 20 May 2009

tried the sfc option and inserted disc - it ran ok - went attending to other biz - when i came back to pc - nothing there - it must have finished

keef66 16:24 20 May 2009

I'd suggest you scan the mp3 files with your antivirus software. You'll probably find one of them isn't an mp3 at all.

Most of the nasty stuff I have removed from our pc came gift-wrapped in the kids music, video or game demo downloads.

I remember a particularly tenacious trojan in a Need For Speed Carbon demo. In fact I think I may have just reinstalled it from a backup!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 20 May 2009

Ok so now see if the volume is avalable in control panel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone