Windows colours changed & can't change back

Lazarus5 19:09 10 Oct 2007

Hope some of you guys can help me. I did a foolish thing the other day, I was answering a survey and in doing so ran an active x plug-in.
(please don't lecture on the wrongs of doing this, I've learnt a lesson the hard way).
The problem is that it changed the colour of all the windows screens. Mainly the background colour where all the icons sit on the tool bars. This happens on the windows if I open my computer and in IE. I have tried changing themes, also every setting in control panel/display tab appearance and nothing seems to change these colours. Any super smart person out there know how to change it back to the default colours then could you let me know is outlook express looks really bad and is getting on my wires. Thanks

topdude 19:21 10 Oct 2007

How about trying system restore and pick a date before the problem occured.

Lazarus5 19:52 10 Oct 2007

Thanks topdude but I've already tried that. Didn't work.

Technotiger 20:26 10 Oct 2007

Perhaps you could fight fire with fire ...

click here

Lazarus5 16:27 05 Nov 2007

Still got same problem and not sure haw to work this program you suggested Technotiger.

Jake_027 20:20 05 Nov 2007

go to start>all programs>accessories>accessibility and check in there if high contrast is on. To switch on/off in vista its left alt, left shift + print screen. What colours are they and which operating system is it?

HCOOH 20:38 05 Nov 2007

Have you tried the advanced tab in "appearance", look for active window border and so on.

Technotiger 20:47 05 Nov 2007

Hmm, try this then, click here

skidzy 21:20 05 Nov 2007

Just another option for you.

Boot into safemode (tapping F8 on startup) and select
Last Known Good Configuration.

Lazarus5 12:24 06 Nov 2007

Thanks guys for the help but,
Jake_027, Looked there but can't find high contrast, using XP home. The colours are, background for tool bar is a pale yellow in IE and in Outlook express and windows explorer the same but the tool bar has an orange border line and spacer line.

Marg7, Still disabling these one by one but still not found anything.

HCOOH, I've tried every setting there is in here but to no avail:(

Technotiger, Checked in here nothing looks out of place, I even tried changing some settings but still looks crap.

Skidzy, tried this just after trying system restore but didn't work.

One thing I have tried is to change the toolbar background to a personalised bit map. When I did this explorer and Outlook changed but IE didn't. Don't know if there is anything in this. I still didn't like the result so I'm back where I started. All I want is my boring windows grey back but it looks like I'll have to settle for the horrid new look.
I have looked on microsoft site and found references to changing this colour in the registry but not for XP, only older versions. I suspect It is set in the registry but finding the right one or combination of settings may be a little tricky. Don't like playing around in here too much incase it messes it up completely. I have backed it up but you never know how good the back up is until you need it, bit like insurance really.

Thanks again guys.

HCOOH 16:08 06 Nov 2007

If you have access to another computer you could posibly save the theme you like to a portable device then load it on yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone