Windows cleanup?

Chrissib 14:52 31 Jul 2009

After having several problems with my Windows XP, I decided to completely reload, but during the install and previous one's, so as to not lose important documents, I have just added the installs, while renaming the one before. So as you can appreciate I have multiple instances of Windows on my PC.

I would like to get rid of the unwanted versions, but how do I identify the specific files, without losing the documents and programs associated with the previous installations.

I have directories with renamed variations of the word 'Windows', with 1.2Gb + 6.7Gb disk space.. is it safe to delete these?

Chrissib

GaT7 15:54 31 Jul 2009

If you're referring only to the directories entitled WINDOWS, WINDOWS1, WINDOWS.old, etc, there aren't any 'important' files worth keeping that your latest Windows directory doesn't have already, or will accumulate in the future. So yes, retain the latest one & delete the others.

However, you may want to retain all your previous 'Documents and Settings' folders till you have the time to sift through their sub-folders to see if you have any data (including emails) stored there.

And you will need to reinstall all the programs that you had previously. These are stored in the 'Programs Files' folder, so don't delete this either. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?