Windows cant find c:\windows\winsock\services\exe

o right then 20:45 03 Aug 2006

Hi. Wonder if anyone can assist with this problem? A few weeks ago I was running Spybot Search and Destroy and think I have probably deleted something I shouldn't (?).I think this error message started to appear on boot up next time I used the machine. Can anyone advise how I can fix this? Mesage on boot up is 'Windows cant find c:\windows\winsock\services\exe - Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again' Everything seems to be working fine (only use PC for basic use - broadband and docs) however I have been trying to connect to a voip site and have not been able to connect, dont know if this is related. Would appreciate some advise on this, cheers.

User-312386 20:47 03 Aug 2006
  jimv7 20:48 03 Aug 2006
  jimv7 20:49 03 Aug 2006

pipped at the posting lol

o right then 21:06 03 Aug 2006

madboy33©® and jimv7 cheers will give this ago. Only a minute innit jimv7, good effort though!

Terry Brown 21:26 03 Aug 2006

Have you looked in the history of spybot and tried an undo for that period. If spybot caused it, that should fix it, unless you have changed something else in the meantime.
Terry

o right then 22:38 03 Aug 2006

Unfortunatley, the fix from the link has not sorted the problem, still getting the same errors on boot up. I have looked in recovery on Spybot and can't seem to see anything related but in honesty don't know what I am looking for!! A novice I'm afraid.

Ray5776 22:52 03 Aug 2006

Dont know your O/S if XP use restore.

phono 23:39 03 Aug 2006

If your OS is XP try this, make sure tou have your Windows XP CD to hand, click Start and select Run, in the space beside Open: type the following exactly as is, sfc /scannow , note the space after sfc, put your XP CD in the drive when requested and let it do its own thing, when sfc has finished you may have to do a reboot to see any effect.

Post back if this does not work.

phono 23:47 03 Aug 2006

"Windows cant find c:\windows\winsock\services\exe"

Is this the correct error? First of all my own installation does not have a winsock directory in the windows directory, second, are you sure the last part shouldn't be services.exe as opposed to services\exe?

It is important to give the exact error message that you are getting

o right then 13:35 04 Aug 2006

Phono - I am on Windows XP Home. Am at work at moment so can't check but you may right the error probably is .exe - will check. The OS in in a hidden partition so I don't have the XP CD. I prefer to see if I can sort without having to reload the system if poss. To ad to woes I was trying to back up last 3 months data to an external usb hdd but system was crashing every 2 mins and re-booting, but that's a seperate issue. Will be happy if can fix winsock issue without reload though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone