Windows cannot start.....................

pac73 16:13 08 Jul 2007

Because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows/system32 Config/system.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows set up using original CD Rom.

Select r to repair.

Thats the message my sister gets when she starts her Dell pc.It started doing it yesterday.Shwes tryed pressing r for repair but it goes to the dell screen and then back to the message above.

She has,nt got any windows discs.Is there anybody who knows why this might be happening.And how can i fix it for her,thanks,PAC73.

howard64 16:16 08 Jul 2007

see if you can start in safe mode by pressing f8 as windows starts and if you can get in run system restore to go back to when all was ok.

VoG II 16:21 08 Jul 2007

If the Recovery Console is installed click here then click here might help.

pac73 16:24 08 Jul 2007

Shes just tried that,it just goes back to the same message as in my first post.

pac73 16:27 08 Jul 2007

Vog,shes got no disks.It was a brand new pc at xmas.

pac73 16:45 08 Jul 2007

Anybody?

howard64 16:50 08 Jul 2007

when she presses f8 at start up what options does she get?

crosstrainer 16:55 08 Jul 2007

have a backup partition? I thought Dell supplied cd's, but this may have changed...there could be an option in the BIOS to restore files from the partition.

pac73 17:06 08 Jul 2007

After im in bios,what should i do then?

rabadubdub 17:44 08 Jul 2007

Some more info may be needed.. when asking for help always give the basics.. ie: Operating System, which sounds like W2000 or XP - judging by the 'press R for Repair' option.
Did she not get at least a recovery disk from the manufacturer, if not a OS disk?
Bios options depend on the make of BIOS and Motherboard. Where was it bought? Any more details? ..documentation or manuals? My own is a QDI Legend Mboard with Award Bios.. shortcut to "Recovery Easy" backup partition is Ctrl+Backspace or, F12.. BUT the backup would have to have been done first!
You may be able to find the missing file and EXTract it from a folder named 'I386'(not sure where that is on your system) - to where it should be.
Perhaps someone here is more familiar with XP/2000 than I am, as I run winME.

Rab

jonski 18:05 08 Jul 2007

Dell now only supply backup drivers and restore discs if you take the option to pay them extra when you order the laptop/desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone