"windows cannot access the file......" error

Limpoet 22:30 19 Sep 2006

Hi

I have a brand new HP Pavilion 1429a.uk running Windows XP home. There is 1Gb RAM and 200 GB HDD with Athlon 64 3200 chip. The PC is ECEPTIONALLY slow to boot up and switch users. I haven't loaded any unusual software that wasn't on my previous PC other than Norton Internet Security 2006 and Google Desktop Search Bar. I keep getting the an error report which directs me to the following MS Help & Support page click here.

I have followed everything to the letter and have found the problem is "windows cannot access the file C:\\WINDOWS\fonts\STONSSBC.TTF". However, I have searched everywhere including the excellent PCA forums with no success. I suspect this is the cause of all my problems (although the HDD does seem to "click" in a way I am not used too and I am hoping it is not a hardware problem).

I have tried to run the diagnostics but no problems seem obvious and I have run out pf ideas.

Please, please can anyone help me?

Gongoozler 10:33 20 Sep 2006

I can't understand why the absence of a font should cause this problem, but I think you can download STONSSBC.TTF from click here

Grantrh 10:44 20 Sep 2006

In my experience Norton products can slow down your PC considerably - I suggest uninstalling it, rebooting and seeing if the problem persists.

skidzy 13:59 20 Sep 2006

Looking at your error report,first thing to try is a repair of windows.

System File Checker sfc /scannow

Understanding sfc /scannow click here

If no joy,post back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?