Windows bootup problems

claluc 10:39 13 Mar 2009

PC has been having problems showing 'Windows could notstart because following file is missing or corrupt: C\Windows\System32\Config\System '
It does usually restart after inserting XP recovery disc and having PC to boot from CD.
After doing this PC works fine for a couple of weeks until problem happens again.
I have changed HDD with a brand new one, re-loaded Windows XP from scratch and upgraded to SP3 but problem has started re-appearing, clearly it can't be a HDD issue.
This particular PC is not connected to internet and only has games loaded + openoffice on it as it is used by my son for gaming / homework.
Could a game be the cause of the problem?

Graphicool1 11:00 13 Mar 2009

When you installed WinXP on the new HDD, before replacing the games etc. How was it running and booting then?

claluc 11:19 13 Mar 2009

It was running fine, but as I said it used to work fine even before, this is why I have now ruled out an HDD issue the problem only happens every week or so.

claluc 11:22 13 Mar 2009

Also forgot to mention, when I 'jump start' it with the XP CD, I don't perform any repair etc, just Boot from CD, go through as if re-installing Win but when partition is detected just abort everything and reboot. Invariably XP reloads ok and we are off for another week or two. Weird problem...

Graphicool1 12:03 13 Mar 2009

I think your own suggestion regarding the possibility of a game being the culprit sounds the most likely solution. Can he relate the begining of the problem to say following the loading of a specific game?
If not and I think it would be unlikely that he could. Perhaps you/he could try uninstalling all the games. Running CCleaner click here it's Free. It's the safest cleaner out there. Clean out all the temp files, then clean the registry. To get rid of dead links. Check the system with AVAST Free anti-virus cleaner click here and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.34 click here
Because even though it doesn't go on the Net it doesn't make it exempt from attack. Also you mentioned his homework. Does he use 'Memory Stick' he could be bringing home an infection with those. When you run Avast and Malwarebytes, put the sticks in and include those ports in the search.
You/he must have a rough idea when this problem actually started and so be able to work out what games were loaded since. That way they can be discounted and reinstalled. Other games can be added slowly and with discretion.

woodchip 12:26 13 Mar 2009

Try running Check Disc, By Double Click My Computer Right Click on C:\ Properties\Tools\Check Disc tick the Box to Fix Problems and do a Full Scan

claluc 14:42 13 Mar 2009

The HDD is spanking new, only installed it last Saturday. Will do but can't be a bad sector problem, not exactly same symptoms on two different make/size drives out of which one is only 1 week old.

claluc 09:41 16 Mar 2009

Have jump started it again, installed and ran both CCleaner and Eused as well as AVG and Malawarebytes, working fine for now as usual, let's see what happens next....

claluc 15:12 28 Mar 2009

Seems stable now, hopefully solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?