windows boot up woes

astec123 22:06 05 Feb 2004

I have a Problem in that at bootup my pc running a 120gb hdd, 1 gb ram and an xp2600+ does not start up properly and runs through this problem.It starts and detects the processor as an xp2000+ when it isnt,it used to say the correct details, after this it says to wait for an ide scan and asks me to press any key or enter the configuration for the RAID.then press any key or enter the ctrl-s for raid configuration.after this it enters the windows is sorry but wasnt shutdown or lost power etc. screen and i have tried all the options!these all bring up a blue screen and doesnt display for long enough to read it says something like this.
It goes something like this but I cannot get much because I am using my camera in burst mode so res is reduced to 340 x 260

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, Restart your computer.If this screen appears again, follow these steps disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities.check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run "ch****"> / "some letter"> to check (to blury to make out,may be "and then unknown") Technical (Extreemly blury)

****Stop:/; 0x0000002 (0x001901ff.0x98 >(too blury)

Anything in angle brackets I cannot make out.

after this the system restarts and it begins again so I cannot do any checks other than that the fans are spinning and that the lights on the board come on and the hdd seems to whirl as normal.

This seemed to start after flight sim 98 failed toinstall and said that it couldnt write to the hdd as it was write protected!

woodchip 22:14 05 Feb 2004

Start your computer with Win98 floppy start disc, at A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE so it looks like this

A:\>SCANREG/RESTORE press enter after you select a registry before the problem

astec123 22:40 05 Feb 2004

done that and typed SCANREG/RESTORE.It just says that c isnt a fat drive and that there may 3 causes.it says that SCANREG/RESTORE is a bad command or file name what did you mean by "enter after you select a registry before the problem"?I dont undersatnd what u meant!

woodchip 22:43 05 Feb 2004

Start with Floppy disc at A:\> type FDISK/MBR it will restore the fat file. you should not lose eny info

A:\>FDISK/MBR press enter then try starting comp

VoG II 22:45 05 Feb 2004

Is this Windows XP? If so boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

woodchip 22:46 05 Feb 2004

You could try

SCANREG/RESTORE from the Start/Run box type it in the run box and press enter

astec123 22:53 05 Feb 2004

ok i was stupid there should of mentioned xp home,will try this and see will reply again tomorrow about the results.Thanks for your help!much apreciated.

PS I havnt been able to get to windows it just restart just before the windows loading screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?