windows backup utility

charlton200 18:08 19 Jul 2007

I have just started using windows backup utility and my first thoughts are, that what you have backed up is not that easy to see.
I have looked in the restore section and can find all my letter ect, but if you make changes to those letters or whatever,you are not able to see if those changes have taken effect on the next backup.

Am i using it wrong or is there ways to make sure that any alteration s you have made ,have happened.

Thanks.

Stuartli 18:24 19 Jul 2007

When I originally started using XP, I checked out the Backup feature (it's installed by default in XP Pro), but didn't like what I learned.

As a result I've used Norton Ghost.

This is also highly thought of in many quarters:

click here

charlton200 19:16 19 Jul 2007

Thanks i'll have a look at it

skidzy 19:19 19 Jul 2007

As Stuartli says with Norton Ghost or another very good and widely recommended is Acronis TI10 click here

charlton200 19:32 19 Jul 2007

As i don't have masses to backup only letters music, pictures ect and a few programs, and a few thing of my wifes.
Is it not easer to drag and drop or is it best with backup program .

Thanks

skidzy 19:38 19 Jul 2007

The issue of backing up is a bit more complex if you wish it to be.

Backing up pics a few docs etc...just save them to disc or flashdrive or external drive.

However,using Norton Ghost or Acronis enables you to make an image of your entire drive.
Now if the drive was to fail or you encountered a system problem,loading the image you would create with Acronis or Ghost would in effect put your system back to a stable enviroment.

Not sure about Ghost but certainly Acronis ti 10,you can even create a clone of the harddrive,this would enable you to place the cloned image on another drive if yours was to fail....and all done in under half an hour and no reloading the software apps etc.

Thats the basics,but these apps Ghost and acronis do more than that if you require them to.

bruno 19:49 19 Jul 2007

I find Bak2zip an excellent,simple to use programme.

click here - 76k -

bruno 19:49 19 Jul 2007

Back2zip

charlton200 21:25 19 Jul 2007

Thanks i've had a look at that it looks ok.
Does it do more than one user do you know.

bruno 07:51 12 Aug 2007

Not sure,but I would think so if you nominate the files you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017