windows backup procedure

Daiol 19:16 15 Feb 2008

Hi,I have windows xp pro installed and today i decided to have a go at backing up all my documents,so i went to use the windows backup facility and backup to an external hdd.Can anyone tell me if ive done the correct thing or a bad thing i have also set it to auto backup on a regular basis.Well have i gone down a good road on this??,Thanks daiol.

Technotiger 20:07 15 Feb 2008

Yes, you are doing the right thing - an even better way would be to use Acronis True Image and then do complete regular backups of your whole hard-drive.

Daiol 19:39 16 Feb 2008

Hi there again.This may sound a silly question as you can see i used windows backup facility and i set it to auto backup at 1800hrs today well at about 1700hrs i downloaded a load of photos of my granddaughter into my pictures folder,what i want to know how can i tell if the auto backup did do the task at 1800hrs today is there a way of checking the system??,Thanks for listening to my question,daiol.

Technotiger 20:29 16 Feb 2008

Have a look at the Folder or where-ever you keep the backups, there should be one or more icons representative the back-ups you have made, hover your cursor over the icons and that should then show the date&time the back-up was made.

Technotiger 20:30 16 Feb 2008

representing .... not representative!

Daiol 20:40 16 Feb 2008

Technotiger,hi thanks for that info,the backup is made to an external hdd now the icon looks something like a hdd and its the only one i hovered the mouse over it and it gave 47.4gb and yesterdays date i cant open this folder so it looks as todays auto backup task failed any thoughts on that? thanks daiol.

Technotiger 21:06 16 Feb 2008

If you click on it, it might reveal more folders within.

I use Acronis, with back-ups on an external drive - when I click on the Main folder it opens and shows all the other folders containing the Incremental back-ups.

Daiol 12:08 17 Feb 2008

Hi, I tried Acronis 8 i could not work out the weekly backup setup,I have noe reverted to drag and drop method for the time being.Thanks anyhow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017