Windows 'automatic updates'

Silly Me 11:49 07 Jan 2008

Every time I shut down my pc which is often 2 or 3 times a day, a'windows updates are ready to download' message appears. I used to get these about once every 6 or 8 weeks. I ignore them now but wonder why I am getting so many so often. I run XP Professional.

birdface 11:51 07 Jan 2008

Obviously although you are getting them it must be failing to install them.Why not remove automatically install up-dates and download them manually once a month.

Silly Me 13:35 07 Jan 2008

Thanks buteman - I'll take your advice but I was worried it might be a bug

brundle 13:37 07 Jan 2008

Not a fix though is it, if you can't install them automatically it's likely they won't work manually either.
Try WURT first click here, if no luck try Dial-A-Fix click here

birdface 18:35 07 Jan 2008

Like Brundle says.If they still do not download manually I would use his click here,I have not tried the first one but did try the second and althought it did not help me there are loads of others that it did help.This is another if none of those work.click here

birdface 11:56 10 Jan 2008

Hi.Did you get your problem resolved.There were another few updates from Microsoft on tuesday did you try and download them.And did it work.

taffyal 12:14 10 Jan 2008

For reference

Silly Me 22:55 11 Jan 2008

You're right brundle, it's not a fix but I didn't want to offend buteman by saying so! so, I haven't tried the manual updates for this reason. I've been following ignoring the automatic update prompts each I close down the pc, but I did get a message a couple of days ago to tell me Microsoft had automatically downloaded some updates! Never seen that before. I will do the clicks in due course and keep you all posted. Thanks ever so - I'm a female pensioner so am really grateful for your helpful posts. You're a great bunch of guys.

SANAP 00:01 12 Jan 2008

and girsl!!

Sea Urchin 00:05 12 Jan 2008

What about the grils?

birdface 00:44 12 Jan 2008

Don't worry about offending anyone.We would rather be offended than give someone the wrong information.None of us are getting any younger.And you are probably younger than me.Because we are pensioners it does not mean that we are past it and cannot help.I find if we can help with easy problems the more knowlegable can help with the difficult ones.Downloaded messages I got that fed up with them that I decided to update manually.Just the way I like it but everyone has there own choice.Its not hard to download manually normally the 2nd tuesday of every month.And you are not bothered with pop ups.If you want to know how to stop the pop ups just ask.Good luck and if you need any help just ask.And dont take the first answer as a final.Everyone has different ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?