windows authenticity

filthyphil 12:58 31 May 2006

i have just got a meesage whent i booted up saying my winxp pro was not genuine. the spooky thing is i have got xp home which i purchased when i got a mobo bundle from novatech. any suggestions or is it confusing my office pro which i hasten to add may be a little shady. and if so is there any way of stopping it from doing this each time anyone boots up??

rawprawn 13:21 31 May 2006
  Pamy 13:26 31 May 2006

windows not genuine
Posted by sea princess XP Pro on Thu, 25/05/06
Look at this on Absolute beginers

namtas 13:40 31 May 2006

I just got this message also, me hopes that the sofware DELL Installed is genuine.

On point that does concern me and should concern others, supposing that I am doing a public presentation and this somewhat embarrasing message comes up. Could be damaging for me as a company.

Jackcoms 14:06 31 May 2006

There's a lot of this happening at the moment.

Probably because Microsoft are now downloading their Windows validation tool to PCs.

It was automatically downloaded to my PC this morning.

Sethhaniel 16:20 31 May 2006

Microsoft updates have killed my PC dead

working fine went to switch off and message came windows updating system so left it to run - and have not been able to start - format or do anything with PC since

Jackcoms 16:24 31 May 2006

"Microsoft updates have killed my PC dead"

Which updates?

MS have not issued any critical updates since the 9th of this month (Patch Tuesday).

spuds 16:51 31 May 2006

When did these new updates download. I have just had a recent update warning,and was about to download, now your problems as made me concerned.

rawprawn 17:03 31 May 2006

I got an update this morning "Genuine Advantage Notifications" but I have had no problems

rawprawn 17:08 31 May 2006

click here for information

Jackcoms 17:17 31 May 2006

Hi Dennis. Long time no speak.

Yep, I also got the Genuine Advantage update today (see my post of 14:06). Like you, I appear to have a genuine copy! ;-))

I have absolutely no problem with MS doing this - as far as I'm concerned the 'pirates' shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

But why have MS only now decided/started to undertake this 'checking' exercise?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?