Windows asks me to install driver I cannot find

prince midas 14:10 27 Sep 2009

Everytime I load Windows my computor says
Windows will notify you if there are steps you can take to get your device up and running.
It then searches and finds nothing.
it says the problem is PNP driver not found,x86,Hardware UnknownOS 6.0 6001.2.1.0.768.3

C\program files\realtek\vista_8169\winvista
What do I do?

birdface 14:34 27 Sep 2009

Have you tried Device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your devices.

DieSse 14:47 27 Sep 2009

Realtek make chips for many things - the commonest are sound and ethernet. So you may need to find and (re)install the drivers.

What buteman suggests may tell you which drivers you need.

You'll find drivers on the motherboard driver CD which comes with most motherboards - or directly from the mboard manufacturers website.

If you don't know how to proceed from here - ask again.

oldbeefer2 14:49 27 Sep 2009

You could try running click here - free version (though it will nag a bit about paying - but you don't need to).

Stuartli 14:51 27 Sep 2009

The Realtek connection will be either for your on-board sound or LAN driver; in this case it appears to be with regard to a High Definition (HD) driver.

Check that the on-board sound is Enabled in the Bios and from the Realtek audio device's Properties in Device Manager that it is Enabled and working correctly.

DieSse 14:51 27 Sep 2009

8169 is a network chip (should have looked it up first).

If it's on the motherboard, get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer.

Stuartli 14:54 27 Sep 2009

If, as DieSse suggests, it's for the LAN, I have a similar setup.

I recently found, much to my surprise, that letting Windows search for the latest LAN driver from Device Manager did indeed produce the very latest example.

The only one I could manually find was the version prior to the Windows choice...:-)

prince midas 14:57 27 Sep 2009

In Device manager it shows 3 yellow marks under unknowen device,on showing details it says details 00000040 configflag_failed install.

at the moment the message as gone away for a while lets hope it says away.The sound appears to be working.

sunnystaines 15:04 27 Sep 2009

there was a visa microsoft update this week for realtek LAN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?