Windows 98SE,2000 & ME

Sketch 22:07 22 Feb 2003

I currently run Win98SE.

Is it worth upgrading to Win2000? Any significant enhancements? Is it a stable platform?

What is the difference between 2000 and ME? Are they not the same thing (Millenium=2000?)

If ME and 2000 are different, how so?... and which is better?

Help appreciated.

SKETCH

MAJ 22:12 22 Feb 2003

ME and 2000 are different operating systems. 2000 is the most stable of the three you mention, followed by 98SE, then an unstable wobbly thing, then ME. If 98SE is okay for you, stick with it.

y_not 05:53 23 Feb 2003

98Se is a good "all-rounder" for home use - if it works for you why change it?

ME was a "cobbled together" upgrade that, if you look at the absence of any comment about it on Microsofts site gives the game away that it was probably thier biggest embarrassment to date! The least stable (for most people) O/S in the MS stable.

Win2k is a business system which uses the NTFS file system, is very, very stable, supports most (but not all) hardware BUT does not support all the latest games requirments.

XP took the stability of Win2k and the games support of 98SE, added a few "pretty bits" and charged a lot more for it.

If you don't use games I'd swap to Win2k, if you do like games consider the full win2k and dual boot with 98SE - the best of both worlds.

Sketch 18:12 23 Feb 2003

I'm considering it because Win98SE is soon to become an unsupported platform by Microsoft's Windows Update.

I have a mate who uses 2000 and honestly, I can see little change. However, your games statement is a little worrying. Do you mean that it might not handle games from 'way back when'.... as most newer titles appear to support it.

I did notice however that Norton SystemWorks and Firewall 2003 operate on 'XP/XP Pro/2000 Pro/ME/98'.

That doesn't sound too promising, what's so special about 'Pro'...

Whats NTFS?....is that in the same vain as all that FAT/FAT32 stuff?

SKETCH

Sketch 10:02 24 Feb 2003

^BUMP^

MAJ 10:15 24 Feb 2003

NTFS is a more stable and secure file system that can be used by Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I've never used Windows 2000 so can't advise you on it, Sketch. Why not, if you have enough space, try it out on a dual boot system (with win98) for a while, see how you get on with your games and peripherals.

jazzypop 12:53 24 Feb 2003

If your only reason to change is because MS will be withdrawing support for W98, don't bother changing.

There is more than enough support on the Web for W98, and will be for many years to come. Just as there is still support available for W95, Win3.1, DOS etc, etc.

Exactly how much support have you needed from MS for W98 in the past year or so?

zanwalk 13:39 24 Feb 2003

I agree with jazzypop as to W98, just to clear up any confusion on W2K Pro, that is the version that you would be using, there is no 'home' version as in XP, the only other version is W2K Server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?