Windows 98SE UPGRADE/RE-INSTALL ?

NadiaP 22:22 09 Jul 2003

In trying to re-install windows on a compaq deskpro 400mhz, which was originally win95.
I have a win98se cd rom / a start up disk (from click here) - but have tried relentlessly to install windows - without success?
I manage to fdisk/format/sys c:/scandisk - but when it comes to 'setup' - I get the strangest problems (varying ones in fact!) I have had 'wrong media device' error messages 'drive c: d: e: does not exist' and most recently in fact, the computer states I do not have enough space for running scandisk, setup etc.

I have restarted the process on numerous ocassions and just cannot understand where the problems lie? Dont know if I am doing something wrong, or maybe omitting something in the process? or if indeed I am using the wrong startup disk etc?

Would be grateful for any kind support anybody may be able to offer me in this matter.

Thanks in advance.
NadiaP

woodchip 22:30 09 Jul 2003

Why did you use fdisk? you only needed to format the drive. And start with a floppy from click here and run the install windows it does not matter if it says 95 if you have your Win98 disk in the drive

y_not 22:31 09 Jul 2003

You ran FDISK?

Did you look for non-dos partitions and delete them? I have this vague idea that Compaq mess with the boot sector and, I think its option 4, viewing ALL partitions will identify which ones you have not deleted

woodchip 22:31 09 Jul 2003

PS have you made the partition active

ollie < one> 00:58 11 Jul 2003

ff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?