Windows 98se - is there a limit to memory size?

Spark6 16:36 16 Aug 2003

Have just upgraded memory from 128MB to 320MB using two new 128MB modules and an original 64MB unit. The start-up screen, and the Belarc Advisor summary, indicate an installed memory of 192MB.
Does this mean that this is the limit for this OS or is there something else I can do?
Spark6

Diemmess 16:44 16 Aug 2003

Limit of RAM in Win98SE is 512Mb

Have you an on-board video card which "shares RAM" i.e. takes what it wants and leaves you with the rest?

Newuser1241 16:49 16 Aug 2003

It sounds as thoughone of the new chips has not been fitted properly as you are 128MB down, easiest solution is to fit and check each chip seperately.

dazzling (work) 16:50 16 Aug 2003

i think the limits 512mb but you can go up to 1024mb with upgrade.check the modules should have two biggest first then 64.it could be your motherboard may only accept 256mb without a bios upgrade but im sure 98se will handle up to 512mb.check motherboard website for bios upgrade.also as its only registering 192mb one of the 128 modules could be defective try them both seperatly and see if they work.darren

Rayuk 16:52 16 Aug 2003

Optimum for Win98 is 512Mb anything above this may have adverse affects.

Spark6 19:06 16 Aug 2003

Many thanks for the responses. Sorry for the delay, been feeding the inner man. Belarc Advisor indicates 64MB in each of the three slots 0 to 2.
As the three slots are shown 'occupied' I would think that the modules are plugged in properly but the system is reading the values wrongly.
I shall dig a little deeper.
Spark6

wossie 21:36 16 Aug 2003

I know that a lot of MoBo' require that if you use the three DIMM slots that the ram has to be registered type, so take out the 64 and try the two 128's and see do you end up with 256Mb then try each DIMM on their own. Wossie.

Spark6 16:49 03 Dec 2003

Just to put this one to bed. After a lot of intermittent research and head scratching I revisited the Crucial site, regularly recommended in this forum.

Having failed to accurately identify my motherboard and associated memory, even with the assistance of Belarc and Wimsbios, I contacted the Crucial 'Expert on-line' who correctly identified the memory required.

Two 128MB modules were ordered on Friday and received and installed this morning. A successful upgrade.

I'm happy to report that PC World have given me a credit note for the returned modules.

All's well that ends well!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?