windows 98se reformatting-help needed

caro456 21:38 05 Aug 2006

I need to reformat an old computer running 98se. I have done this before, several times, but now each time I start with the boot disk in the floppy drive, I get the message "searching for boot record from floppy..." and then windows continues to load. I have 2 boot disks from mesh, another boot disk supplied with windows and have just downloaded and copied to a new floppy from bootdisk.com. All give the same response. Does anyone have any ideas? What else can I try?

woodchip 21:55 05 Aug 2006

The one you downloaded from Boot.com. It's no good just putting the file on a floppy and hoping it's going to work, It will not. Put a blank disc in the comp the double click on the one you downloaded to create the boot disc. Start with the disc let it go to A:\> then type

Format C: press enter

namtas 21:56 05 Aug 2006
  phono 22:12 05 Aug 2006

Is the floppy drive definitely working okay?

caro456 22:22 05 Aug 2006

phono
I dont think it is. Have tried namtas link and couldn't create a disk using the add/remove program facility, it just kept prompting me for a disk and eventually froze. So I put in a disk that I know is Ok and contains some files and after a strange whirring noise I get the message A:\ is not accessible
The device is not ready
Is there a way to reformat without the floppy drive? If so for all I use it I may not even bother replacing it.

phono 22:27 05 Aug 2006

A bootable CD such as BARTPE click here , UBCD click here or EBCD click here should be able to help you with a reformat

caro456 22:28 05 Aug 2006

Thanx phono, I will try one of those.

phono 22:29 05 Aug 2006

No problem, let us know how you get on.

Wak 10:34 06 Aug 2006

Does this help??

click here

Reinstalling info is near the bottom of the list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017