Windows 98se installation

PIE THROWER 10:32 04 Jan 2007

I'm trying to install windows 98se (long story why).I can Fdisk without problems but can't format the disk. when I type at the prompt "format c:". I get an error message - bad command I think. In any case every search on altavista I do there is no instruction that works.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received - too much time has been wasted trying to sort it out myself.

recap 10:45 04 Jan 2007

"That error just means the system can't find the "FORMAT.COM" file" Extracted from: click here

Mavisk 11:29 04 Jan 2007

Right click on your floppy drive/explore/left click "EBD" folder,(You'll need winzip installed) then right click "format"/Extract,and point it towards the path that is your floppy drive,the system should now be able to find the format command.

Stuartli 11:55 04 Jan 2007

If you are installing 98SE don't forget the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack:

click here

Brings it right up to date to when MS ceased support.

Wak 12:20 04 Jan 2007

You may find that this could be useful.
click here

pk46 16:59 04 Jan 2007

You must delete the none DOS partition if you where using W2000 or WXP.
You have to CREATE a DOS PARTITION and make it active and you will be able to format i assume you know how todo this.

pk46 17:02 04 Jan 2007

I forgot to say W98 does not like anything above 512 of Ram even this might cause W98 to freeze.

PIE THROWER 21:43 07 Jan 2007

Thanks for all the replies - this forum is always my 1st port of call. I've been away for a few days so have yet to try any of the suggestions. I have though had an afterthought which may be relevant. The hard disk I'm using to install Win 98se on was one that had been wiped and formatted using Win XP - does that that have any relevance whatsoever?

Strawballs 22:52 07 Jan 2007

Yes you must do as pk46 has said.

click here this is a very easy to use boot disc that is menu based

PIE THROWER 23:22 10 Jan 2007

Sorry but I assumed all the advice given would cover it. I needed to extract the cab file to get format.com (I downloaded the startup disk files). When I typed in at the A: prompt it started to extract but then reported that there is a "general failure writing drive A". Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?