Windows 98SE Freezing on Bootup

Border View 08:28 13 Mar 2005

I run Windows 98SE and use Avast antivirus and Zone Alarm. Yesterday I downloaded Critical updates KB888113 and KB891711 from Microsoft. Now when I try to start by computer it freezes and the only way I can get it to start it to revert the hard drive to before I installed these to critical updates.

Has anyone else had this problem and what advice would you offer please.

Taff36 08:36 13 Mar 2005

Friend of mine had exactly the same problem. He spoke to Microsoft who refereed him to his OEM supplier who happened to be still in busines! It was some sort of conflict with the motherboard drivers. (His was an NEC computer but I don`t know what the motherboard make was.)

The solution was to remove the update from the computer which I believe needed to be done from DOS since 98SE doesn`t have a system restore or another method of removing it via windows. Hopefully someone will pick up this thread and will know how to do it.

Border View 08:56 13 Mar 2005

Many thanks for responding. Fortunately I use GoBack and have been able to revert the hard drive to before the installation. Problem of freeze up solved. Shall not bother downloading the critical update - infact shall avoid both of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?