Windows 98 / XP ?

paul_allard 09:30 02 Feb 2003

I have a new computer using Windows XP but Learndirect only recognise Windows 98 or 2000. I have a copy of 98 but can I load it to run alongside XP without harming anything and how will I keep it separate and run it ?

kevc 10:33 02 Feb 2003

with xp you can install 2 operating systems side by side on different hard drives or partitions, but unfortunately you have to load windows 98 first then xp. try Start then Help and support then on the left of the page,Fixing a problem, then Application and software problems, then Getting older programs to run on xp, this might help

User-312386 10:50 02 Feb 2003

hi there

do you have a complete installation disc of XP or an OEM/restore to factory settings disc

if you have a full OEM you can re-format to have 98se on 1 partition and xp on the other

madboy33

paul_allard 18:42 02 Feb 2003

How do I create the two partitions ?

« Ravin » 19:05 02 Feb 2003

before all that have you tried windows xp compatibility mode? install learndirect and then right click the program shortcut and click properties. there tick "run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose windows 2000 and click on apply. then see if learn direct works. if it works good if not then you can think about partitioning etc.

« Ravin » 19:08 02 Feb 2003

oops,should read after clicking properties go to the compatibility tab..

midase 20:34 02 Feb 2003

Look here click here You will see Win XP Tips, click on the link and you will see Install 98/ME after XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?